Friday, September 5, 2008

Making An Atlas Stone

It's been a few years since I made an Atlas Stone, but it wasn't a difficult process. I remember finding directions on the internet from Dennis Ruygrok in 2000 and have made at least 3 or 4 since then. Stone lifting is a lot of fun and an amazing workout.

You can find good step-by-step directions at

The basic materials needed are: a ball, plaster of paris, cement, and a shovel...

The mold is made by covering the ball with plaster of paris. After it has dried completely, a hole is cut in the top and the ball is removed.

After filling the mold w. cement, some reinforcing w. more plaster of paris might be a good idea. Give it a week of "curing", then the mold can be chiseled off and the fun begins.


power athlete said...

Great post and superb explanation.
I've been going to make on of these babies for a while.


Alex said...

How much does the stone pictured weigh?

Boris said...

Thanks guys.

As far as the weight on that particular stone, I'm not sure. It was a present for my sister-in-law's garden and I only had one afternoon to play with it after cracking it open. I'm guessing around 200lbs.

Playing with Iron said...

A sphere of concrete is is about 150 pounds per cubic foot, or
79 * diameter^3 pounds