Sunday, October 31, 2021

Christmas Gifts for Your Gym Rat - 2021

The 2021 Holiday Season is upon us! If you're looking for some gift ideas for that gym rat (or home gym rat) in your life, look no further! Here are 10 great ideas for less than $100 (and some less than $10)!

1. IMTUG grippers from Ironmind ($25.95 and Up)

If you have an interest in grip strength and you want to work your pinch grip, it's difficult to do with traditional "grippers" alone. The Ironmind Tug grippers are designed to be used with two or three fingers and can be used to improve crushing grip, pinch grip, and hand health and can be a great supplement for other grip work.


2. Bands from elitefts ($5 and Up)

As a stocking stuffer, or even as THE gift, bands are amazing for gym rats of all stripes. I've given these to my family, friends, and athletes for all kinds of occasions, from thank-you's to graduations. Convenient, easily transportable, and endless uses - bands are always a perfect gift.


3. Fractional Plates from Rogue Fitness ($15 and Up)

I know. You're thinking, "What kind of wimp needs ONE POUND PLATES? Be tough and throw on a quarter or at least a dime!!". Sure, I get that. But, if you've been training a long time, you know there are times when you wished you had these. Like when you are doing grip work. Or when you just want to feel the waters beyond your current max. For the "hardcore or die" types, this might not be the right gift, but for the older, more experienced, connoisseur of lifting, it might be just the thing.


4. Adjustable Slant Board from Amazon ($55)

I have one of these at home and I use it often for calf and hamstring stretches, and also for back foot placement on Bulgarian Split Squats. Certainly not a "must-have", but very convenient and if your special someone has flexibility issues then it's a great tool. Honestly, I don't know why something so simple costs as much as it does, but it is sturdy and I don't regret the purchase.


5. Sled Harness from Rogue Fitness ($60)

Many years ago I found a bargain and purchased a couple sled harnesses. Soon after, I was very glad I did because I could not find ANY that looked comfortable and cost under a hundred dollars - fast forward 10 years and now Rogue is producing some at a reasonable price. Pulling a sled with a harness vs. handles is a nice change of pace and shifts emphasis from the grip as a limiting factor, allowing heavier loads and longer efforts.


6. Cramer Gym Chalk (6 oz) from Amazon ($6.99)

Some modern chalk formulas contain resin which is probably fine for some resistance exercises, but would be bad for high rep kettlebell work. Good old plain magnesium carbonate is great for deadlifts, gymnastics, high-rep work with kettlebells, and just about anything else that requires a solid grip.


7. Conquer Your Demons Through Sweat and Steel (T-Shirt) from Defiant Athletic ($28.00)

I don't know about your gym rat, but working out has always been a place of solace for me and this t-shirt speaks to that. I own two of these (one red, one black).


8. Ledgital Gym Timer from Amazon ($79.88

I bought this a couple years ago on Amazon and it's gotten a lot of use in the garage. I use an older version of the Gym Boss when I'm in the basement or outside and need an interval timer, but I prefer having a big digital display that my old man eyes can see without squinting.


9. Raskog Utility Cart from IKEA ($29.99)

I use this cart in my garage for grip implement attachments, chalk, and carabiners. On wheels, it's a handy little storage cart for your gym or even your office. To amuse myself, I wrote "ROGUE" on it with a white sharpie.


10. LIGHT WEIGHT, BABY! (T-Shirt) from Ronnie Coleman ($29.99)

This "officially licensed" product is one item that I'm asking for on MY Christmas list. What could be better than a t-shirt with THE Ronnie Coleman on it saying "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY!"? Maybe a shirt with Ronnie Coleman on it saying "Ain't nothin' but a peanut".


No comments: