Sunday, March 21, 2010

Becoming Process-Centered (Part I)

Recently, in comments here, someone asked me about how to develop a more "process-centered" (and less "product-centered") view towards training. It's a great question. We should all have goals, because without them, we will wonder aimlessly, flitting about from program to program with no sense of direction. However, an unhealthy preoccupation with product and outcome will not fulfill you, because the journey will be largely unsavored and forgotten, and once the goal is reached, you'll need another to fill the void once the taste of the moment has faded. The journey is 99.99%...

I found this video on ted.com and it's pretty good. "Inwest in the process" is the message. Though I don't know if he himself is Buddhist, Srikumar's message is Buddhism's Second Noble Truth. I was happy to hear his child-learning-to-walk illustration - one I used in my Competence Follows Competence post.



Srikumar Rao: Plug Into Your Hard-Wired Happiness



So, why would I want my training to be more process-centered and what might my training look like if it was? Let me get back to you later this week on that!

No comments: