Friday, May 22, 2009

Allow Me A Parental Moment...

My son isn't exactly what I'd call a natural athlete, but he's getting to be a pretty confident little climber.



I love team sports too but, unfortunately it seems, many American kids and adults learn to exclude weaker players at an age as early as 5. I see this in academics just as often as in athletics by the way - teachers and fellow students dismissing an underachiever or low-performer in their beginning years of study.

The good news is that time and effort truly are the great equalizers in most things. I remember seeing on Chris Doyle's weight room door a sign that read "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.", and it's true. "Talent" will only take you so far and, for many young athletic "prodigies", puberty doesn't propel them into the next level. How many "playground studs" turn into "high school duds"? I've known many. In fact, at every major stepping stone of competition, there are always those who fail to advance despite great expectations. And there are always the dark horses and late bloomers waiting and training patiently for their chance...

6 comments:

Jerry said...

Your son looks very cute. He looks like an Asian, but I don't believe you are. Sorry for such an awkward comment, but can't resist, being Asian myself.

I learned a lot from your Squat RX series on Youtube. Thanks for your invaluable contribution and generous sharing with us.

Boris said...

Thank you Jerry - I appreciate that. I'm half Japanese.

Anonymous said...

G'day Boris,

I think it's great your son is enjoying rock climbing! In Australia the sport has such a fantastic atmosphere and not only that but you get to see some really beautiful places if you pursue it outdoors as well.

I myself have been out in the blue mountains and have come across some of Australia's top climbers on the same wall who are more then willing to chill out and have a chat.

There is a competitive edge in the sport but there also feels to be much more of a community. I hope your son continues enjoying rock climbing!

Randy Hauer said...

I think encouraging and supporting interests is the key. Climbing will develop all kinds of well rounded athleticism and confidence and courage. Tee ball? Not.

Unknown said...

i wasn't exactly the most naturally athletic youth out there. i make up for it plenty now though.


http://www.ericjmoss.com

Boris said...

Thanks Tom. I know what you mean about the competitive yet cooperative community. It seems more common in less team-oriented sports.

Thanks for dropping in Randy. Agree with you completely.

Thanks Eric. Agreed.