Saturday, January 26, 2008

My Current Training Schedule

Ever since the birth of my son, I've been doing very abbreviated training. I would like to have the luxury of larger slots of time to devote to training, but it just doesn't happen consistently. Success with "minimalist training" has varied, but currently I'm following the weekly training schedule below and it has yielded good gains with my kettlebell work and maintained a reasonable level of "gym strength". The sessions are numbered, but the order is not fixed and adjusted when necessary. Some weeks, I do more, and some weeks I do less, however I try to get in at least three sessions/week.

Training Session #1: Kettlebell Snatch
Training Session #2: Double Kettlebell Clean & Press
Training Session #3: Front Squats or Squats, Pull-Ups
Training Session #4: Kettlebell Snatch, Double Kettlebell Clean & Press

Each session is generally structured in an EDT-style format, but I will do straight sets and reps with more generous rest periods if I am tired. Kettlebell sessions are generally done in less than 30 minutes and the squat/pull-up session is no longer than an hour.

6 comments:

Franz Snideman said...

Boris,

what state do you live in again? I am linking you on my blog but I need to know which state you live in.

Thanks!

Franz

Boris said...

Thanks Franz. I live in Iowa.

Taikei Matsushita said...

Charles Staley and Pavel's DVD (from Dragon Door) is an excellent one to fully understand what EDT is. Probably better than "Muscle Logic".

Franz's twin bro, Keats was assisting Staley and Pavel as well.

Boris said...

Yeah, I would love to buy that (as well as a dozen other books and DVDs), but my "allowable" budget is a little tapped out right now.

Franz Snideman said...

Oh...and great training schedule BTW!

As a new father myself, I am stream lining my training, BIG TIME!

Boris said...

Thanks Franz. I feel like I'm covering most of my bases. I know I could do some more ab work, but man I hate it - which probably means I BETTER GET AFTER IT...

Before my son was born, I was used to training at a leisurely pace - a lot of heavy powerlifting stuff w. long rest intervals... All that pretty much went in the toilet when my son was born. It's taken me a long time to adjust and I feel like I'm finally hitting my stride w. it all. It takes some of us (namely ME) a lot longer to "get it" than others.

Someday, I'd like to get back into PL, but it will have to wait for a while longer.

Thanks for checking in!