Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Training Tip: Front Load Your Training Week

A while back now, I wrote an article for Dan John's newsletter "Get Up" entitled "New & Expecting Fathers: Tips for Training and Time Management". One of the tips I gave in the article was to "front-load your training week". It means to plan your most productive training sessions for early in the week (Sunday, Monday, Tuesday). By doing this, even if your week becomes a bear and you miss training later in the week, you will have gotten in at least two or three good sessions.

If your having trouble making your training commitments, give the "front-load your training week" idea a try and let me know how it goes.

3 comments:

Rocks said...

sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this but.....

What size KB do you recommend for a novice KBer but not new to weightlifting? Perhaps some specifics are in order; Male, 29, lifting for ~4 years 1RM Bench 225,Squat 325, Dead 390. Looking to get some metcon out of the KB. I'm thinking a 1 pood but maybe a 25lber to get the right mechanics. Any thoughts on picking the correct size KB. Thanks

Boris said...

I'd suggest you get a 1 pood (36lbs) and a 1.5 pood (53lbs). It's tough for me to just recommend just one because you will quickly find the 1 pood a little too light for some exercises (like swings) and the 1.5 pood too heavy for others (like snatches).

Gable Barber said...

Boris, this is exactly why I try to do my Strongman day on Sundays (nice full body training) and Squat day on Mondays.. then no matter what happens.. I've at least got that taken care of.

I think you mentioned this elsewhere a long time ago, and the idea sunk in for me.