Monday, January 28, 2013

Other People's Squat

I don't spend a lot of time scouring the internet for resources about squatting, but occasionally I run across really interesting and thought-provoking articles (I also run across a lot of Squat Rx plagiarized work, but that's a subject for another time...). I don't always agree with everything word for word in articles I find on the net, but always enjoy the hard work and time that has gone into thoughtful pieces. Check the following links out and let me know what you think.

The "Best" Squat by Pavel Tsatsouline

Virtual Squat Seminar by Jim Wendler

How To Squat Pain-Free by Mark Bell

Squat Perfectly - FOR YOU - Every time by Dave Dellanave

Tigger by Jon North

2 comments:

Jhw said...

Regarding lower back preservation while doing heavy barbell back squats simultaneously with conventional deadlifts -- another post of yours mentioned doing them on the same day, ideally with squats coming first.

The problem is that this would possibly impoverish your efforts on deadlifts, which would preferably be given the same amount of effort as squats.

It seems difficult to commit to both heavy squatting and deadlifting, along with other split days, without seriously taxing the erector spinae and general lumbar region.

Any ideas how to build a good routine, a split-based one, to include squats and DLs without constantly frying the lower back?

Boris said...

Hi Jhw,
I'm sorry, I don't remember the context of that first comment. If you're doing both in the same workout, I think you're going to have to prioritize one or the other for sure. Shoot me an email if you'd like to discuss it - make sure to include something easy for me to id in the subject: boris_york@yahoo.com