Thursday, January 5, 2012

Elite Fitness' Grenade Balls

I bought a pair of 3" grenade balls from elitefts.net. I think they'll be a lot of fun as a grip tool and just to change things up a bit from time to time. I think they were on special for about $22 each + shipping when I ordered them, but they are a little more now. I've known people that have rigged up grip tools using baseballs and softballs, and that's essentially what these are (but made of metal).



What exercises will I be doing with them? Tonight, I did some light deadlifts with the grenade ball(s) connected by a small chain to kettlebells. I think they will also be perfect for light reverse and hammer curls, light rows, shoulder raises, and bent-over laterals. Pull-ups will be a challenge with these, but I'll give them a try soon.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Found something similar at about half the cost at another website, but has a thick hook instead of the closed ring like yours. Not sure if the hook would be a pro (faster to hook/unhook) or a con (might come loose if you slack it up). Any thoughts? - EdK

Boris said...

I don't know - probably work just as well for most things. I suppose the closed loop is a little more secure for a few things. Could you post a link?

Anonymous said...

http://www.strongergrip.com/products/StrongerGrip-Grip-Balls.html

$35 for a set of two.

Boris said...

Those look pretty good to me!!!

Anonymous said...

I emailed the seller and they are definitely hollow steel, but he said they have been tested to 350 lbs plus. Are the ones you bought solid? They just appear to be much more rugged, oh well decisions decisions. Thanks for your input. - EdK

Ty said...

I like how this is attached to a chain because the pull on your grip would get more as you picked up more chain.

Boris said...

Anonymous,
I don't know if they are solid, but they seem so. If the ones from strongergrip are tested to 350lbs, I think that's plenty. Adam Glass endorses products from them and I trust his endorsement.

Tyclol,
They don't come with the clips or chain. The chain I'm using isn't a large enough diameter to work as "chain work", but you could certainly add 5/8" chain (for example) and do lifts that way.